Thursday, July 19, 2012


History of Tuticorin

Thoothukudi is traditionally known for its pearl fishery and shipbuilding. Thoothukudi became the centre of the Indian independence movement in the early 20th century, with such leaders as the poet Subramanya Bharathy, Veerapandiya Kattabomman, Venni Kalady, Vellaya Thevan, and V.O. Chidambaram Pillai. In 1906, the freedom fighter V. O. Chidambaram Pillai, with the help of Bal Gangadhar Tilak, launched the first Swadeshi ship S.S. Gaelia from this port town in British India.
The major harbour of Thoothukudi is well known as a pearl diving and fishing centre. Thoothukudi, one of the oldest sea ports in the world, was the seaport of the Pandyan kingdom after Korkai and later was taken over by the Portuguese in 1548, captured by the Dutch in 1658, and ceded to the British in 1825. The lighthouse built in 1842 marked the beginning of the history of Thoothukudi harbour development. Tuticorin was established as a Municipality in 1866 with Roche Victoria as its first chairman. It attained the status of Corporation on August 5 2008 after 142 years.

         Thoothukudi  is also known as "Pearl City" in tamil "muthunagar". Located in the east coast of Tamil Nadu. Thoothukudi(previously called Tuticorin) has always been the hub of trade and progress in this region.  A city with rich and varied cultures, flourshing since 200 B.C. Earlier known as Thriumanthiranagar. Thoothukudi is in South India nearly 550 km away from Chennai and is Geographically located in the Gulf of  Mannar.


About Tuticorin city:

Tuticorin Municipal Corporation Launched on : 5-8-2008

Tuticorin Mayor      : L. Sasikala Pushpa

Tuticorin Collector : Ashish Kumar IAS